Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan


Book Blurb

After saving Olympus from the evil Titan lord, Kronos, Percy and
friends have rebuilt their beloved Camp Half-Blood, where the next generation of demigods must now prepare for a chilling prophecy of their own:

Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

Now, in a brand-new series from blockbuster best-selling author Rick Riordan, fans return to the world of Camp Half-Blood. Here, a new group of heroes will inherit a quest. But to survive the journey, they’ll need the help of some familiar demigods.



My Review


I am very partial to Rick Riordan's books, since I teach Ancient Greece in my Social Studies class.  I think that these are great books for reluctant readers.  They are full of action and build tons of background knowledge!  But that's the teacher in me... Here's what I think as a reader.


Characters
The main character, Jason, finds himself plopped on a school bus, with no memory of who he is or where he is.  The story is about him figuring out who he is.  I liked Jason, Piper, and Leo.  They were fun, loyal, with enough flaws and conflict to truly make it interesting.


Plot
The story is in the same vein as the Percy Jackson series.  Tons of action and adventure, which I liked.  I was surprised at a lot of the twists, which was fun because a lot of times it's easy to figure out middle grades/young adult books.    


Relationship
The main romantic relationship occurs when Jason can't remember Piper, who was his girlfriend. They both struggle and have appropriate confusion and conflict over their feelings for each other. If this series follows the same path as Percy Jackson, it will take several books to really get into this relationship.


Overall
A really fun read that I enjoyed.  4 Stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment