Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hexbound by Chloe Neill


BOOK BLURB
Lily Parker is new to St. Sophia's School for Girls, but she's already learned that magic can be your best friend-or your worst enemy. That's why Lily has to learn how to control her newly discovered paranormal abilities while fighting the good fight with her best friend Scout as they take on Chicago's nastiest nightlife-including the tainted magic users known as Reapers...

My Review
The entire time I read this, I kept checking my Wishlist on Amazon.com, trying to pick out what I wanted to read next.  I don't think that was a good sign.  I also found myself making excuses for putting the book down (I don't usually volunteer to do dishes or take out the trash).  Here goes...

Characters
I don't want to be too harsh, but none of the characters were developed from the last novel, and they have nondescript personalities.  The dialogue is stilted and unrealistic.  OK, that was harsh, but honest.  What teenage boy calls the girl he likes "kid" or "kiddo"?  I think the author was going for Buffy-esque quipping during tense, dangerous moments, but it just did not translate.

Plot
I think part of the problem is that I lost interest in the series since it has been about a year since I read the first one.  But, yeah, I totally missed the climax- it was very noneventful from start to finish.  Nothing really seemed to happen.  I am also a bit confused on the Adepts' purpose- they don't really seem to do anything but walk around and hope to thwart an evil plan.  I'm sure it will be developed in the future books- there was a bit of foreshadowing about smaller plot lines, but nothing ever really happened.

Relationship
No fireworks.  It's like Jason and Lily immediately became an old, married couple.  I predict that the relationship will be over in book 3.  

Overall
Just about the only good thing I have to say is that I love the cover and look of the book.  However, I doubt I'll continue on in the series.  Two Stars :(


No comments:

Post a Comment