Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride


Book Blurb
Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.
Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces
 . . . or else.
With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

My Review
I read this one on the cruise one night last week, when I couldn't sleep and my cabinmates were passed out.  It was a very quick read- I read the Kindle version, but I can't imagine the book being too thick.  It pretty much hit the spot of what I was looking for- fun, easy, light book to pass the time.
Characters


Sam is our hero.  As I read it, I realized I don't often read books with a male-as-main-character.  Not sure why, but in any event, I did like Sam.  He was funny, loyal, and snarky.  His point-of-view was my favorite to read in the alternating narrative style of the book.  I thought he was the most developed and credible of all of the characters in the book.

The minor characters are unfortunately, quite flat.  I think Brid is supposed to be the heroine of the book, but I really couldn't get a sense of her as I read.  She doesn't seem to have any flaws, and her narrated chapters were so few I don't really know what purpose they served.  The other minor characters were likeable, but again, not very developed.

Plot
The pacing was pretty quick, but there was a lull in the middle where it seemed like nothing seemed to happen to the hero and heroine, and gave some background information from the minor characters' perspectives.  One thing that was missing was an element of world-building about the mythology of the characters- I'm not sure how all the supernaturals are structured, or how they coexist yet.  Of course, it's the opening book in a series so I'm sure that will come out as Sam learns more about his supernatural world.  Oh, and another thing I liked about the story was that it was funny- I love humor in books.

Relationship
The romantic relationship was a dud for me.  I didn't really get a sense of a strong connection between the characters.  It was very light on romance- definitely not an epic love story.

Overall
I liked it- fun book and a series I will try to keep up with.  I'm interested to see where the story goes.  4 Stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment