Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker


Book Blurb
When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer.Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.

My Review
As soon as I read this book blurb on Amazon, I wanted to read it immediately.  About 10 months later, I finally did! I read this one immediately after North of Beautiful, and finished within 48 hours (North of Beautiful took me over 3 weeks because I kept putting it down).  I thought A Match Made in High School was cute and funny, and a pleasurable read.  4 Stars!

Characters
Fiona is fun- she is sassy, confident, and completely imperfect.  She has all the narcissism of her teenage years.  I love Fiona because she wasn't a wallflower type in need of a makeover- she had spunk and self-confidence and humor.  She evolved as her senior year progressed in the novel.

Plot
O.K.- so the marriage class is clearly contrived.  Once I swallowed this unrealistic bit down (I had to do so quickly, since it is absolutely essential to the story), the plot is really quite enjoyable.  I loved the pranks and sense of humor in the characters. I loved that none of the characters perfectly fit the archetype they seemed to be set in at the beginning of the story.

Relationship
I can't say anything on this front, as it would spoil the whole novel. You'll have to read to find out! Things aren't as they seem....






No comments:

Post a Comment