Sunday, February 6, 2011

The False Princess by Ellis O'Neal

Book Blurb
Princess and heir to the throne of Thorvaldor, Nalia's led a privileged life at court.  But everything changes when it's revealed, just after her sixteenth birthday, that she is a false princess, a stand-in for the real Nalia, who has been hidden away for her protection.  Cast out with little more than the clothes on her back, the girl now called Sinda must leave behind the city of Vivaskari, her best friend, Keirnan, and the only life she's ever known.

Sinda is sent to live with her only surviving relative, an aunt who is a dyer in a distant village. She is a cold, scornful woman with little patience for her newfound niece, and Sinda proves inept at even the simplest tasks.  But when Sinda discovers that magic runs through her veins - long-suppressed, dangerous magic that she must learn to control - she realizes that she can never learn to be a simple village girl.

Returning to Vivaskari for answers, Sinda finds her purpose as a wizard scribe, rediscovers the boy who saw her all along, and uncovers a secret that could change the course of Thorvaldor's history, forever.

A dazzling first novel, The False Princess is an engrossing fantasy full of mystery, action, and romance.



My Review


Characters
Sinda was a pretty decent main character.  The story and the world reminded me a lot of Poison Study (which I absolutely loved).  I don't think that Sinda could compete with Yelena, who was so vibrant and authentic.  But, I liked that she handled her situation with grace.  I liked that she was on a journey to figure out who she is and where she fits in the world.  I was a bit confused by the ease with which she leaves behind her life- she doesn't really mourn her family and friends in the way I might expect.  But, her reaction to her situation ended up being a part of her development, so it did make sense for the story.  She was strong and solid as far as a character goes.


My one complaint with characters is that they seemed to play their part in the story and then disappear.  For example, Sinda's parents and aunt.  There wasn't any continuity to the minor characters- it was very Sinda-centric.


Plot
I liked the story- full of political intrigue, magic, and the start of a romance.  A lot happened in the book, the plot evolved at a fast pace.


Relationship
There is no hint of romance in the book blurb, so I don't want to give too much away.  I'll just say- there was some sparkage as the story progressed, but the relationship went from 0 to 60 in no time.  I was a bit disconcerted by that.  But, I liked Sinda's romantic partner as a character.


Overall
It was pretty good- I loved the premise of the story and there were no major flaws in the book. 3 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment